Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Aloha Flat Niamh! She has arrived in Haiku, Maui, Hawaii!!

Flat Niamh arrived in Haiku on the island of Maui which is part of the Hawaiian Islands.  Here is her first journal entry:


Aloha Niamh,
I left California on Wednesday, January 19th and just arrived in Hawaii this afternoon. I am excited to see the Island of Maui.

Grampa greeted me at his mailbox with a Lei. He says it is a tradition to give one to a visitor the first time they arrive in Hawaii. The flowers smell wonderful and the weather is perfect. Grampa said that it was cloudy and it rained this morning, but by the time my "flight" ended at the mailbox, nothing but "perfect weather".

81°F | °C
Current: Sunny
Wind: E at 17 mph
Humidity: 49%

I am now wearing a red Hibiscus flower in my hair. Grampa thinks that I look great with a red flower. The State flower for Hawaii is Native Yellow Hibiscus and, in Hawaiian that would be; "Pua Aloalo or Ma`o-hau- heleaaa" . 






Since there are only 12 letters: 5 vowels (a, e, i, o, u) and 7 consonants (h, k, l, m, n, p, w) you can see they need to use each letter alot. I am pretty tired from the long trip, so I will write you a letter a little later this week.  Many notes to write in my Journal.

Here is the picture when I arrived.



Aloha... Flat Niamh
PS. Grampa says we are going to have much fun, but wished you were here.


Here is the island of Maui, one of the Hawaiian Islands:




Maui is an even smaller island than Ireland and therefore very difficult to really see on the big map, but we wanted to show the relationship of the location to other places Flat Niamh has been already.  Therefore, here's a close-up shot:


We have been measuring the distances Flat Niamh has traveled so far: no wonder she is feeling a bit tired! 


Here is the route she took from Kahului to Haiku:




View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment